Leg Vein Treatment in Mclean and Northern Virginia
How much are a beautiful pair of legs worth? That was the question executives dared to answer during Hollywood’s golden age. The legendary gams of Betty Grable, America’s sweetheart and celebrated pinup girl were insured by Lloyd of London for 1 million dollars each in the 1940’s, adjusted for inflation and the figure rounds out to 10 million in today’s market. Such a high price for a specific body part may seem a little over the top and yet, there is something to be said for valuing the flawless beauty visible in a great pair of legs.
We of course, are not talking about objectifying the human body or suggesting that you run out and purchase an insurance policy on your favorite features. We are merely stating the fact that beautiful legs can be a beautiful asset.
Shapely, well proportioned, minus any lumps and bumps with a smooth, even-toned complexion are always in style.
Spider veins and color irregularities
Following cellulite, the biggest complaint many women have about their legs are unsightly veins and skin color irregularities. These include clusters of small red and blue spider veins, visible vessels, port wine stains and pigmentation splotches of varying hues. Often, women notice a change to the appearance of their legs following pregnancy, weight gain or menopause. Some of the most common causes of spider veins and other vascular lesions in the legs include:
- Aging. As we get older, the valves in our veins may weaken and not work as well.
- Medical history. Some individuals are born with weak vein valves increasing their risk of developing spider veins. A family history of vein problems also increases the likelihood.
- Hormonal changes. These occur during puberty, pregnancy, and menopause, Taking birth control pills and other medicines containing estrogen and progesterone may contribute to the forming of spider veins.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, there is a huge increase in the amount of blood in the body. This can cause veins to enlarge. The growing uterus also puts pressure on the veins. Often, veins improve within 3 months after delivery. However, the appearance of spider veins usually increases with each additional pregnancy.
- Obesity. Being overweight or obese can put extra pressure on your veins which can lead to spider veins and varicose veins.
- Lack of movement. Sitting or standing for a long time may force your veins to work harder to pump blood to your heart. This may be a bigger problem if you sit with your legs bent or crossed.
Leg Vein Treatment
The Sciton ClearScan ALX
At Nova Surgicare, Dr. Hamrah has selected the ClearScan ALX laser for its superior ability to treat unwanted veins on the legs and face with minimum discomfort and no downtime.
Manufactured by Sciton, a trusted and leading authority in laser devices, the ClearScan ALX offers a larger area pattern generator than other light based technologies in the same category. This means we can treat areas of the legs and face far more quickly, safely and effectively. Additionally, the ClearScan’s built in cooling mechanism offers patients greater comfort during the treatment process and it good for all skin types and skin ethnicities.
The laser energy utilized by the ClearScan ALX is ideal for addressing broken capillaries, spider veins, visible vascular lesions and benign skin discolorations. Immediately following treatment patients may experience redness in the treated area which indicates the collapse of the problematic veins and discolorations underneath the skin. Most patients require no downtime and can resume normal activities immediately following their laser session. Redness at the treatment site disappears within a few days and the resulting appearance of the legs is markedly improved and evenly toned. Depending upon the size of the area, and the quality and quantity of skin discolorations multiple sessions may be recommended to achieve optimal results.